Sunday, October 30, 2011

All Souls Day Tradition: Vanishing

When I was still young, whenever All Souls Day (November 1) is fast approaching, I can still remember that my Grandma would really make preparations in accordance with Philippine tradition in celebrating the event. Being a religious person and a member of an organization in the church I can see her buying flowers, preparing the novena booklets, writing all the names of our dead relatives so that she can offer mass for them. During the day itself she would go to the cemetery with the rest of the family members to visit the tomb of our love ones. 


It makes me reminisce these kind of preparations for I grew up with my Grandmother, in fact she greatly contributed to the molding of my moral values - I was very close to her. But now that Ive grown and seeing other people celebrate All Souls Day like the Westerners, it really was disappointing. Starting October 31 where people pattern this what Westerners call "trick or treat" or the All Hallows Day dressing up like vampires, ghosts, zombies, etc. It really degrades our own culture as it is slowly been replaced by foreign ways or tradition. Before most people would go to the cemetery to visit their loves ones and spending time and praying for the salvation of their souls. But now only few remembered this genuine Philippine Tradition as others would rather go to a Halloween party or out of town event. We all have to remember that All Souls Day is the day for us to remember and pray for our loves ones because even if they are dead they still a need to be cared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment