Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Top Three Comma Errors

Commas Before a List

When a sentence flows naturally into a list, a comma is not needed.

I like to eat, sheep, cows, plums, and dragons.

The above sentence is incorrect because of the comma between “eat” and “sheep.” Eliminate the comma to make it correct.

I like to eat sheep, cows, plums, and dragons.

Subordinate Clauses

A subordinate clause is one that relies on the main clause to make sense. A lot of writers place incorrect commas by the conjunction that separates the subordinate clause from the main clause.

I place commas here, and there.

Here’s a longer example:

This machine is designed to fill glass bottles, and then cap the bottles with either aluminum or crown caps.

The second example is wrong because the actual phrase requires “this machine is designed to” either side of the conjunction (and). The comma effectively splits off the subordinate clause (then cap the bottles . . .) rendering it nonsensical. Remove the comma to correct the error.

This machine is designed to fill glass bottles and then cap the bottles with either aluminum or crown caps.

Comma Splices

This is a sentence that has two completely independent clauses separated only by a comma. As there is no conjunction, the sentence is incorrect.

I like sheep, I like cats.

Both “I like sheep” and “I like cats” are complete sentences of their own accord, so a conjunction is needed (in this case “and”) to make it correct.

I like sheep, and I like cats.

Again, this sentence is incorrect:

I like to eat sheep, however I get bad gas when I do.

However is not a coordinating conjunction, so the comma is incorrect. Use a semicolon to correct the error.

I like to eat sheep; however I get bad gas when I do.

This quick rundown should help aspiring writers to recognize their mistakes with commas and correct them wherever possible. Comma errors are usually simple to correct, so read and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment